I am finding that most pieces of writing that have been assigned for this class has a sort of obscurity in it's style. This particular kind of writing is not really for me. For some reason I picture a group of people that meet to discuss such writings, and they are all wearing berets, smoking cigarettes and listening to jazz while they discuss the "true meaning" of said writing, like some portrayal of a distinguished art group in the nineties. That being said, there were a lot of parts in "To After That" that i did enjoy and found that by the time i had finished the text, there were many more sticky hold that spot because i like that sentence notes poking out of the margins that i had thought there would be, fourteen to be exact.
Considering the image of the nineties group that i got in my head, i will start off my saying that my first sticky note was stuck by something written that i feel i apply to my self. The excerpt says: " I wrote furiously on napkins, no choice without my journal, which i had left at home (I could have asked someone for paper, but I didn't want to go through society to get my work, plus I liked the picture: black girl sprawling desperately on napkin upon napkin. What that must have looked like. What a lone black girl might be thinking.)" There is something about this excerpt that i see in myself. I recently quit smoking, I feel considerable better since doing so. I don't really miss smoking. But there was something of the image of me drinking a cup of coffee and smoking a cigarette, that made me feel like i fit the image of being a writer. I liked how it looked and felt like if other were to see me that I would maintain that image of what i dark brooding writer would look like. It doesn't make sense to smoke or write on napkins, but in a way it makes sense when you are wanting to live up to the image of writing; it's in a way a feeling.
I also compared myself to the author in the sense that she seems to write throughout this book that she can not remember when she first started writing, if it were spring or summer, of 1998 or 1999. If it were not for her journals she would have not really known when she had decided to write the book or when she actually started. I have found that if did not write dates on things or did not write in a journal I would have no ability to distinguish exactly when important events started or ended. I feel that there is always so much world happening around me, before me, and so much that has happened behind me that i have such a hard time distinguishing dates of my past. It is something of blur, where all events of my past mush together to form the person that I am this day, only to add to the blur everyday. There were many other pieces in the book as whole that i really enjoyed, i still feel that it's particular style is not for me, but if it weren't for this class and the reading being assigned I wouldn't have picked it up, there for i wouldn't have found the many excerpts i found that applied so strongly to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment