Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Response to Goldberg

I feel as if i'm always a little hesistant for any kind of reading for school purposes. I think high school reading assignments did this to me, they always assigned you something that was boring and didn't ever apply to you life as a high school kid, so i have to say i was worried when i picked up the Goldberg book to read for class. I have to say that i was pleasantly suprised and completely thirilled that the author lived in Ann Arbor. It makes some of the stories she tells feel a little closer to home well, because it is. I like how the book is set up in short sections that you can read at random or all the way through. It feel like each section is a little snip it of advise on how to become a better writter.

When i had started reading the chapters for class, i got really excited that i didn't rent it. I feel like this is a book that i will reference again whether it be for advice of maybe just some good motivation to "put pen to paper". I felt like the author kind of spoke to me. I'm a bit of a worrier and she was rather good at keeping my worries at bay about writting. It felt like she told me to just let it all out on paper and that its okay to say what ever it is that you want to say even if it isn't that interesting or good. That any kind of effort your giving towards your writing is beneficial. I don't know why i get nervous about somethings, i used to have such a freedom in writing when i was younger. Maybe it's because I feel so much pressure to do it the "right way" because of the years i spent in different school. I like that she expresses that if you are writing at all it kind of is the right way. The author words feel as if she has invited me into her home and is sharing secret techniques of a great writer. I absolutely love the book and will definitely use it outside of just this creative writing class.

Sometimes i feel like i can hear something a million times and it just doesn't stick, maybe it's just my poor memory or my bad habit of procrastination. It wasnt until i started college that i really got into the idea of wanting to write. I once was told do what your good at, but i've never really known what i'm really good at. So someone else told me that you can get really good at what you do often, i happened to journal a lot through high school; so i decided to try and do that: write. At my years at WCC, i took a few writing classes and noticed that the more i write the better i became at it. Then i took the summer of and didn't spend one day of it writting, came back to school and now i feel like i lost it. Then i read the snip it of advice: writing as practice. This is probably the millionth time that i have gotten the advice of practice and how it can make you better at the task at hand, and you know what.. this author was right. It's not just practing writting makes you better at it, it makes it easier to not put it off. The more you do it and make a habit of it, the easier it gets to remember to do it. Than the better you are at it. Whew. So now all i have to do is to remember to not forget to not to procrastinate to write. If that makes any sense at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment